China   China
Now:Index > China > Notice

Final Checklist

2015/1/12 22:41:05      :

Make sure you have:

Scanned your passport and any degrees you have. 

Fully completed and signed our application form.

A current medical form signed by your doctor.

Any medical supplies you may need for the duration.

Re-checked your medical insurance to see you are happy with its cover?

Sufficient funds for your first month inChina.

Re-read the previous sections to be sure you've understood all the



Chinese Visa Types: 

"M" Visa:

Certain municipalities (Guangzhou, Shanghai, Beijing, Qingdao) are able to hire teachers on a 6-month "M" visa and still take care of the residency side of the regulations by issuing a Temporary Residency Permit and Temporary Foreign Expert Card. "M" visas can be multiple entry visas, but are governed by the Letter of Invitation issued from the Provincial Foreign Affairs Office on behalf of your school. If you remain in China teaching at the same institution beyond the 6 months, your visa can be changed to a "Z" visa by your school. At that time, you will be given a permanent Residency Permit to validate the newly obtained "Z" visa. You will also need a full medical examination.

*PLEASE NOTE: An "M" visa can be changed into a "Z" visa, but this must be done through host school and further documentation at the PSB.


"Z" - Working Visa:

This type of visa allows a person to reside and work inChinaon a letter of invitation from a school and province for the duration of the contract plus 30 days of travel following the end of the contract. This has been a standard visa used for foreign teachers and experts. The dates on the visa are only good for entry intoChinawithin a 90-day period of time from issue and not beyond. The document that verifies your living and working limits inChinais the Residency Permit issued to you by the Public Security Bureau (PSB) governing your school’s location. By government regulation, you must be registered with your local PSB within 30 days of your arrival inChinaor you will be illegal. If the school does not register you and it is their fault, they are normally heavily fined.

Your Residency Permit identifies you by photo, name, and personal details. When you are registered at PSB, the date of your registration and the date that you will be expected to leaveChinaare written into this card. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CHECK THE ENDING DATE! The ending date should reflect the 30 travel days you have available for personal travel following the ending date of your contract. If it does not, you must ask your foreign affairs officer to have the date changed. If you do not check, and the 30 extra days are not there, and you decide to travel, you will be stopped in any hotel and told you are illegal and will have about 24 hours to leave the country. If you remain in the country, you risk deportation if caught, and/or heavily fined as an "overstay." The fine is normally 500 Yuan RMB per day of overstay.

"Z" visas are normally single entry visas. If you wish to travel outside ofChinaduring your contracted time, youMUST obtain a re-entry stamp from PSB. This is normally done through your school. There will be a charge for this.

When leavingChina, you must give over your Residency Permit at Immigration and your original visa becomes invalid. If it is discovered that you are an "overstay," that is where you will pay any fines. This has happened to past teachers. When leaving, you must present your passport and your valid Residency Permit. If your Residency Permit is lost or you do not have it, you will most probably be charged 500 Yuan RMB for each day of overstay commencing with when your entry visa expired. 500 Yuan RMB = $60 USD/day.

*Please note that "Z" visas cannot be changed into tourist/visitor visas while you are inChina. To change your visa, or obtain a visitor visa, you must leaveChinato get it and then re-enter.Hong Kongis the nearest location for that service. Any hotel travel agent inHong Kongcan help you. You cannot work inChinaon an "L" visa.